How to apply for Section 8 online.

Find open Section 8 waiting lists with your Online Packet for

How can I fill out a Section 8 application form and apply for Section 8 online?

There's really no trick to finding a Section 8 application online or at your local housing authority. An application can only be obtained and completed when applications are being accepted by your local housing authority. The process can be lengthy indeed as some applicants can be on a Section 8 waiting list for several years. The application process however, is always free.

How long is the waiting list for Section 8?

The length of each open Section 8 waiting list will vary for each housing authority in the country. Understand that one can be on several different waiting lists at once. It will increase an applicants over all chances of being contacted after completing a Section 8 application online for different areas (depending on HA preferences).

Find information about open waiting lists around the country for the following states with your Online Packet:


How can I fill out a Section 8 application online?

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is a rental assistance program that is subsidized by HUD. Housing authorities run the Section 8 and Public Housing Programs locally. Each city may have several housing authorities. A Section 8 housing application is difficult to find because most PHA's have to keep their waiting lists closed because of the high demand for housing. When a Section 8 application is being accepted, however, they are always free at your local housing authority. The Section 8 and Subsidized Housing Online Packet helps it's members find open Section 8 waiting lists online and also includes the Housing List Blog.

The vehicle from which this program was launched is called the Section 8 and Subsidized Housing Online Packet because we have combined, or "consolidated" so many low income resources and search tools into our Online Packet. The Online Packet is sold for a one time fee of 15 dollars and is updated with new listings and information daily. Members are able to take advantage of this from now on at no additional cost.

How can I find a Section 8 apartment?

There is no alternate Section 8 apartment application, just the Section 8 application intended to put one on the waiting list. In order to find a dwelling that a new Section 8 tenant can use their voucher for, that property must first be inspected by the Housing Authority. The landlord must then go through the necessary steps in learning how to become a Section 8 landlord.

In all housing programs, you should promptly report if there are changes in your family size. If someone has left your household, the housing authority or owner may request verification of their new address. If a minor child is added to the household due to birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody, advance approval of the addition is not needed before the child moves in. In all other cases, you will need to get advance approval before a new family member moves in. In addition, the housing authority or owner may screen additions to the household for criminal history and (in most of the federal programs) for immigration status. In public housing or multifamily housing, if your family size changes, you may be able to transfer to another public housing or subsidized apartment of a more appropriate size. These transfers often take a long time to happen. These things will be asked on your section 8 application when you apply. In state low income housing, if you are in too large an apartment for your family size (you are "over-housed") and you don't transfer into a smaller sized unit offered by the housing authority, your rent can be increased to 150% of its usual level. With a voucher, if your family size changes, the subsidy with the voucher changes by the date that your annual recertification for your income and family composition is effective. This is so that you can find an apartment that is a better match to your household size. This means, however, that in addition to adjusting with an increase in family size, if there is a reduction in your household size, the subsidy is reduced at the time of your annual recertification, so you would have to pay a greater portion of your rent or move. You can ask the housing agency to let you have a different "subsidy standard" (bedroom size for the subsidy) than it would normally apply due to your family's medical needs or other special circumstances.

The only reason you can be evicted from public housing or any multifamily housing is if you violate the lease or program rules. As long as you abide by the terms of the lease, you can stay in your apartment. If you are evicted . you will lose your housing subsidy and need to start over by completing another low income housing application.

When a Section 8 landlord terminates a lease, or refuses to renew subsidy, the housing agency should continue to pay its portion of the rent until the eviction process is completed (including any appeal of an eviction case or any stay of execution) or until you move. There may be cases, however, where the housing agency stops paying its subsidy or terminates its contract with the owner because the owner has failed to make repairs. Finding a new tenant may take time as some can be on a waiting list for years after completing a Section 8 application you are not responsible for the housing authority's share of the rent if this happens. However, the housing agency may require you to relocate with your voucher in order to continue receiving assistance. If you are being evicted for a reason that is your fault, the housing authority may refuse to issue you a voucher to relocate if it thinks there are grounds to terminate your assistance. This may happen because the landlord is claiming that you violated your lease. If this happens, contact a local legal services program or community action agency to see if they can help you. In any case, you may need to wait for an open waiting list and complete another HUD application (Section 8).

What is the Public Housing Program?

The Public Housing (PH) program provides rental assistance to qualified low-income families and is a federally funded program overseen by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). When the wait list is open, interested applicants may apply through their housing authority website. This is a very quick and easy process! Section 8 waiting list information is secure and accessed only by authorized HA staff with special login codes. Please follow the instructions below for applying to be on a PHA waiting list. If you need to request a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or need other help, you may contact the HA for assistance.

Applying for Public Housing or Section 8 through a HA is always free. You may apply for a Section 8 waiting list through any computer with Internetcess. You may apply with a smart phone; however, it is recommended th you apply using equipment with a secure internet access.

Most Housing Authorities will provide an online web pre-application. The pre-applications must be submitted or anywhere Internet access is available. The online pre-application may be subject to data transmission errors that may make the section 8 application incomplete. SLHA is not responsible for these errors. The following browsers are supported on Windows: Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. When funding is available, pre- Section 8 applications will be selected based on preferences. Families will be placed on a preliminary list and pulled to establish a Wait List. Each household may only apply for Section 8 online or Public Housing once. Pre-applications with a tie in preferences will be sorted on the Section 8 waiting list in date and time order. By using an online web Section 8 application, you agree will have to the general conditions.

An online web pre-application is not an offer of housing. All online web pre-applications are subject to HAís review and approval. Pre-applications can be received online anytime during the Section 8 wait list open period. Please note that the one-bedroom and 0-bedroom waiting lists are combined. This means that an applicant who has applied for a one-bedroom unit may be offered a 0-bedroom unit. Refusal of the 0-bedroom unit offer without good cause will result in the applicantís removal from the waiting list. Once you have submitted a pre-application, it is your responsibility to inform HA of any changes of address, income, or household composition. You can obtain a Change of Information Form here. Applicants will receive a confirmation number to acknowledge successful transmission of the pre-application. Your HA will determine family bedroom size based on itís occupancy standards.

Public Housing Application Process

Before you begin the pre-application for Public Housing, make sure that you have the following information available:

Full name


Social Security Number/Cards

Dates of Birth/Certificates

Household Income

Citizenship Status

Pen and Paper

Try these links for more information about subsidized rental assistance programs for the following areas:

Jacksonville, Florida | Mobile, Alabama | New York | Atlanta, Georgia | Detroit, Michigan | Los Angeles, California | Seattle, Washington
Jersey City, New Jersey

Section 8 Housing Application | Section 8 Waiting List | How to Apply for Section 8 | Section 8 Application | Apply for Section 8
Section 8 Apartment Application | HUD Housing | Section 8 Housing | HUD Application | Apply for Section 8 Online
Online Application for Section 8 | How to Become a Section 8 Landlord | Affordable Housing and Low Rent
HUD Application | Become a Section 8 Landlord | Section 8 Landlord Application | Section 8 Consolidation Program
Section 8 and Subsidized Housing Online Packet | on Pinterest | HUD Housing
How to Apply for Food Stamps Online | Apply for Food Stamps in Atlanta, Georgia
Apply for Food Stamps in Boise, Idaho
Section 8 Housing

Contact US | Apply Online | Affordable Housing Application | Order Online Packet | Apply for Food Stmaps in Los Angeles